Elton Pullover Mod

PROJECT BREAKDOWN

Elton cardigan by Joji Locatelli in size Medium, modded to be a pullover

Yarn: La Bien Aimée Merino Singles (single ply superwash 100% merino) in the Curious Handmade colorway and La Bien Aimée Mohair Silk (70% mohair wool, 30% silk) in the Direwolf colorway

To view my Elton project page on Ravelry, click here.

When I first spied the Elton cardigan design by Joji Locatelli, I was immediately drawn to its delicate airiness, drape and simplicity. However, knitting back and forth with mohair did not hold great appeal to me, so I decided to make it a pullover. (Also, I am more of an oversized cardigan person rather than a dainty cardigan wearer.) Below are my mods for creating a pullover rather than a cardigan, as well as other mods I made:

  • I followed the pattern as written through the row before the cable cast-on for the Right Front on page 3. I then worked the Left Front section as written through the row before the cable cast-on for the Left Front also on page 3. I then knit across the Right Front, cable cast-on 12 stitches (the total of 6 per side, as indicated for my size) and knit across the Left Front, joining the front and creating a pullover.
  • After knitting a few rows the neck circumference seemed too small, so I frogged back and loosely cast on 18 stitches (8 more than called for in the pattern) using the backwards loop cast on for more looseness.
  • I then followed the pattern as written, only knitting the stripes in the round rather than back and forth.
  • For the hem I omitted the p2tog and kept the stitches even for working the k1, p1 ribbing in the round.
  • I omitted the neckband. The neck opening fit well and looked great to me as is, plus I didn’t want it any smaller.
  • I used German short rows for all short rows.
  • To my later regret, I omitted the tubular bind-off for the hem.

The La Bien Aimée merino and mohair silk makes this top incredibly soft and oh, so lovely. I had thought I would have to wear a tank under my Elton because it would be see-through, but something about the post-blocking mohair magic renders it opaque. In the pictures I am wearing a nude-colored bra, and I was amazed that I couldn’t see it!

I truly love these drapey tops with extra ease from the shoulders all the way down. Many times these are worked bottom up, which instantly repels me, but this one has a top-down construction. Score!

There is exactly one thing I would do differently if I could knit it again: as mentioned in the mods above, I wish I had not been lazy and had worked the tubular bind-off for the hem rather than a simple loose bind-off in the ribbing pattern. Below, you can better see the difference between the bind-offs of the hem and sleeves. The tubular bind-off for the sleeve looks very nice, especially compared with the hem.

I greatly enjoyed this project, although it was fairly slow going for me. I hope the mods help for those of you looking to knit your own pullover version.

Leave a Reply